The Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens (HKZBG) is located on the northern slope of Victoria Peak with a highest point of 100 metres and a lowest point of 62 metres above sea level. HKZBG, occupies an area of 5.6 hectares was founded in 1871 as a Botanic Garden and renamed in 1975 as Botanical and Zoological Gardens to reflect the increased commitments to zoological exhibits. Construction works of the Garden started in 1860 and the first stage was opened to the public in 1864.
Mr. Charles Ford was the first Superintendent of Gardens, appointed in 1871. Having served as a temporary Government House from 1841 to 1842, the Garden was still called "Bing Tau Fa Yuen" by the Chinese. Bounded by Garden Road, Robinson Road, Glenealy and Upper Albert Road, the Garden was divided into two parts by Albany Road, but linked by a subway. The eastern part of the Garden is known as the Old Garden where a Children's Playground, Aviaries, Green House and a Fountain Terrace Garden are found. The New Garden in the west is mainly the home of mammals and reptiles
There are more than 1,000 species in the Garden planted in such a way as to achieve natural beauty. Most of them are indigenous to tropical and sub-tropical regions.
Although small, the botanical collection includes members of the major plant groups such as Conifer, Fig, Palm, Gum Trees, Magnolia, Camellia, Azalea, Philodendron of exotic origin as well as the native flora. The Dawn Red-wood, the local Ailanthus, Crapnell's Camellia, Grantham's Camellia and Yellow Camellia provide rarity. The Norfolk Island Pine, Travellers-tree, Royal Palm, Asoka Tree, Forest Grey Gum and the Elephant Apple provide distinctive features in form, leaf-shape, bark and fruit. The Garden is frequently filled with the fragrance of Roses, Mock Lime, Orange-jessamine, Kwai-fah, Chinese Privet and the White Jade Orchid Tree. Conspicuous flowers are produced throughout the seasons by Hong Kong Orchid Tree, Camel's Foot Tree, Coral Tree, Stiff Bottle-brush, Spider Tree, Wormia, Candlenut Tree and Kassod Tree in sequence; while autumn foliage is displayed by the Sweet Gum and Bald Cypress. Visitors can see all these trees identified with labels as they walk along the footpaths.
A Herb Garden is located in the southern corner of the Garden and the shrub collection is mainly centralised at the Fountain Terrace Garden where a regular display of colourful blooms is maintained.
A Greenhouse standing at the eastern boundary houses over 150 native and exotic species including orchids, ferns, bromeliads, climbers and house plants etc.